Skip to main content


Welcome to our FAQ! To find answers to your questions, please use the search feature below or browse the Featured Questions and Top 20 FAQs. If a FAQ does not answer your question, you can email our office for assistance by clicking on a specific FAQ, then clicking "I need more information about this subject" at the bottom of the answer.

Top of page


To search within a category, select the category from the dropdown list and enter your question or search term in the keyword box. To view all questions in a category, select the category from the dropdown list and leave the keyword box empty.

Top of page

Question detail

Back to search results Back to search results
Motor Vehicle
What kind of license plates do you offer?
This answer has been viewed 21419 times and was last updated on 02/05/2019.
Print this page Print this page

Florida uses one metal license plate with a series of alpha-numeric numbering systems, or combination thereof, depending on the type of vehicle. The license plate is placed on the back of the vehicle with the renewal decal affixed to the upper right hand corner. The decal denotes the month and year of expiration. Paper registration documents are also issued and include the license plate and decal numbers, as well as the vehicle and owner details. This document should remain in the vehicle.

In addition to the standard license plate, Florida offers over 100 specialty license plates. To view images and additional fees due for each license plate, visit the State's website.

You can also elect to personalize the letters/numbers on your standard or specialty license plate for an additional fee (subject to availability). These are often referred to as “vanity plates.”  Before making a trip to your local tax collector’s office to make your reservation, visit the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles’ website to find out if the plate configuration you would like is available. 

Inquire on the plate availability.

Personalized license plates may be issued to most types of vehicles, with some exceptions such as semi-truck tractors, wreckers, and other such specialized vehicles.  If applying by mail or on another person’s behalf, an application for personalized license plate must be submitted to our office for review.  The images below give an example of some of the different plate configurations available.

Centered Graphic
Left Graphic
Specialty Motorcycle

The license plate characters must be entered carefully on the application for personalized license plate  to ensure that the license plate is ordered correctly.

•If ordering through the mail, the license plate characters must be entered carefully on the application for personalized license plate to ensure that the license plate is ordered correctly.  The reservation will be placed exactly as indicated on the application.

•If you want the configuration CENTERED on the license plate, you must enter enough spaces before and after the configuration on the application to account for all allowable characters on the license plate (5 for a left logo and 8 for a center logo).

• Personalized specialty motorcycle plates are not automatically centered and can only have a maximum of 6 letters or numbers, including spaces and dashes.

• If characters are not being printed over the center design two spaces must be left in the center to allow for the design to be visible.

• The law permits a maximum of seven alphanumeric characters on plates with a center logo. Spaces or hyphens may be used as long as the total number of digits does not exceed eight. License plates with a left logo must not exceed five characters including spaces and dashes.

Not a Manatee County resident? Out-of-County residents needing to process title and/or registration transactions for vehicles, boats, and mobile homes can only be served at First Manatee South County Tag Agency, located at 5756 14th St W, Bradenton.

Users who viewed this answer also found the following helpful:
I have a heavy truck or I plan on buying a heavy truck; what are the requirements and fees?
I am active duty or retired military. Are there any special pricing, privileges or exemptions available for me when titling or registering a car, truck or motorcycle?
What is required to title and register a motor scooter or to register a moped?
How do I replace/update my car, truck, motorcycle or trailer registration?
I have a utility trailer; is it required to be titled?

Top of page