Skip to main content


Welcome to our FAQ! To find answers to your questions, please use the search feature below or browse the Featured Questions and Top 20 FAQs. If a FAQ does not answer your question, you can email our office for assistance by clicking on a specific FAQ, then clicking "I need more information about this subject" at the bottom of the answer.

Top of page


To search within a category, select the category from the dropdown list and enter your question or search term in the keyword box. To view all questions in a category, select the category from the dropdown list and leave the keyword box empty.

Top of page

Question detail

Back to search results Back to search results
Motor Vehicle /Driver License
What is required to title and register a motor scooter or to register a moped?
This answer has been viewed 14293 times and was last updated on 01/23/2019.
Print this page Print this page

Mopeds and Motor Scooters

For the definition of Scooters and Mopeds, access the following link: 

For the Motorized Scooter definition, access the following link:

Required items to register a moped:

  • Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin with full chain of ownership, the properly completed title (if it was previously titled elsewhere), or the registration & a bill of sale.
  • Identification (Business* or Individual)
  • Power of Attorney if the applicant is not present.
  • Sales tax, if applicable.

Required items to title and register a scooter:

  • Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin with full chain of ownership.
  • Identification (Business* or Individual)
  • Power of Attorney if applicant is not present
  • Scooter make & manufacturer, importer or distributor must be listed on the State's approved listing.
  • If sales tax was collected, submit an invoice along with the dealer's sales tax number.
  • VIN verification, if applicable.

Note: Scooters meet the Florida statutory guidelines for a motorcycle. If it is already titled, read our Florida or out-of-state title transfer publications for instructions. Proof of insurance is not required to be submitted to our office for motorcycles.

* Businesses are required to submit documentation showing they are a valid business; typically, this can be done most easily with a printout from SunBiz. If the individual acting on behalf of the business is not listed as an officer, director, or registered agent on SunBiz, they must also submit, on letterhead, a letter that authorizes them to act on behalf of the business.

Not a Manatee County resident?  Out-of-County residents needing to process title and/or registration transactions for vehicles, boats, and mobile homes can only be served at First Manatee South County Tag Agency, located at 5756 14th St W, Bradenton.

Users who viewed this answer also found the following helpful:
I have a heavy truck or I plan on buying a heavy truck; what are the requirements and fees?
I am active duty or retired military. Are there any special pricing, privileges or exemptions available for me when titling or registering a car, truck or motorcycle?
What kind of license plates do you offer?
How do I replace/update my car, truck, motorcycle or trailer registration?
I have a utility trailer; is it required to be titled?

Top of page