Welcome to our FAQ! To find answers to your questions, please use the search feature below or browse the Featured Questions and Top 20 FAQs.
If a FAQ does not answer your question, you can email our office for assistance by clicking on a specific FAQ, then clicking "I need more information about this subject" at the bottom of the answer.
There are very specific circumstances in which you may be exempt from paying sales tax on the purchase price of boat:
(1) When you move from another state and you've been the titled owner in that state for at least 6 months or longer.
(2) When a boat is given to you, from an individual, for no consideration in return (no money exchanges hands).
(3) When you trade boats with someone else and no additional consideration is exchanged.
(4) When you inherit a boat from someone who is deceased.
(5) When you have already paid* sales tax on the boat
* A bill of sale or invoice from the dealership or an out-of-state registration that lists the purchase price of the boat, amount of sales tax paid, the purchaser's information and the boat details (year, make and HIN #) would be required to prove sales tax paid.
Other situations may qualify for a full or partial sales tax exemption.