In order for the Manatee County Tax Collector's office to process your paperwork, you must provide proof that you reside in Manatee County either on a full-time basis or a part-time basis. (If you cannot provide proof of Manatee County residency, you cannot process your paperwork by mail in Manatee County.) Please submit a copy of one of the following items indicating a Manatee County address:

  • Florida Driver license (must have a Manatee County address)
  • Paid receipt for utility, telephone service, paid contract or turn-on order for utility service
  • Proof of homestead exemption
  • Rental or lease contract agreement
  • Current year motor vehicle, mobile home or boat certificate of registration
  • Copy of insurance policy for motor vehicle, mobile home or boat
  • Other documentary evidence that provides independent proof of a Manatee County address

In order to obtain a Florida title, please send the following:

All individual(s) must submit a copy of one of the following with the application for title:

  • A valid driver license or ID card with photo issued by any US state or territory (Florida driver license must indicate a Manatee County address).
  • A Canadian driver license or ID card
  • A valid US or out-of-country passport
  • If transaction is being completed by Power of AttorneyPDF file a copy of the valid driver license, identification card or passport for both the applicant and the person appointed power of attorney is required.

When a title is being transferred into the name of a business, proof of the validity of the business must be submitted and may be a copy of the following:

For a Florida registered business:

  • Proof of Occupational License
  • A current year IRS tax return showing the business name
  • Active corporation or fictitious name documents filed with the Secretary of State
  • Dept. of Business & Professional Regulation License or Dept. of State License
  • Proof of registration with the Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services
  • Department of Revenue Sales Tax Registration/Exemption Certificate
  • IRS Heavy Use Tax (for Dump Trucks and Heavy Trucks) Form 2290
  • Current year Manatee County Personal Property Tax bill or receipt

For an out-of-state registered business:

  • A current IRS tax return (one page that shows the business name).
  • Valid State business document or Occupational License

The following are unacceptable types of verification for businesses:

  • A bank or checking account with the business name on it
  • A bill in the name of the business
  • Mail addressed to the business

NOTE: Proof of authorization of an agent is required for all vehicles going into a business name.

One of the following must be submitted:

  • If the agent is signing for a Florida registered business and the person is listed on www.sunbiz.orgNew window as an officer or director a screen print must be submitted.
  • If the agent signing or business is not listed on the Sun Biz website or the business is not registered in Florida, the agent signing must submit a letter on original business letterhead, which states that they are authorized to sign on behalf of the business. (The letter may be signed by any individual, provided s/he is someone other than the person signing the application.)

You can fill in and print the Application for Certificate of TitlePDF file here
  • Complete sections 1, 2, 4 and 5. If company owned, an FEID number MUST be provided.
  • It is mandatory that a Florida address be provided in section 1 of the Application for Certificate of Title under the "Owner's or Lessee's Physical Street Address in Florida (Mandatory)" section.
  • All applicants MUST sign section 12. (If signing as an agent of a business, the agent's position with the business must be noted.)
NEW VESSEL: Manufacturer's Statement of Origin
USED VESSEL: Florida Title or Out-of-State Certificate of Title (Registered in another state).

*The title must be signed over on the purchaser and seller lines and the odometer disclosure statement & applicable dates must be completed when:

  • Ownership is changing
  • Adding/removing a name
  • Transferring to/from a trust
  • Name change

Not required on boats titled or registered in the owner's name for six months or longer. If owned less than six months you must supply our office with proof that sales tax was paid. If sales tax collected was less than our state sales tax, the difference will be due.

In the case of a "casual sale" (between individuals) of a boat and outboard motor ("complete rig"), the outboard motor is exempt from sales tax when the transaction is accompanied by an itemized bill of salePDF file that specifically breaks down the sales price of each item. The bill of sale must be notarized or contain a perjury clause. This does not apply to boat dealers. This does not apply to a complete rig with a different type of motor (i.e. inboard).

If you purchased this from a boat dealer, you will need to submit a copy of the dealer's invoice for proof of purchase price.

If this transaction includes a trailer you will be required to submit the current registration or proof of ownership for the trailer, a bill of sale and one of the following:
  • Weight Slip
  • Previous owner's registration with the correct weight

Amount due will be determined by the empty weight of the trailer. To determine fees see "boat trailer fees" at the bottom of the computation page.

6. CHECK or money order in US funds made payable to Ken Burton Jr., Tax Collector. Your check is welcome provided it includes: Full name, street address, home telephone number with area code, driver license number and state of issuance. Starter checks are not acceptable. If your check is returned, it may be re-presented electronically. By submitting your payment by check, you are authorizing service charges and processing fees, as permitted by F.S. 832, to be debited from the same account by paper draft or electronically, at the option of the Tax Collector.

7. Mail your paperwork to:
Ken Burton Jr., Tax Collector
Attn: Customer Contact Center
819 301 Blvd. West
Bradenton, Florida 34205
Phone: 941-741-4800
www.taxcollector.comNew window

Note: Please allow 10-14 business days for processing and mail time. If you would like expedited mail services, a prepaid overnight envelope must be supplied with your transaction. *Fast titles cannot be issued by mail.


The registration begins the day of purchase/ownership change until the first owners' birth month. (Exception: Company owned vehicles use the month of June). If this is only a transfer from out-of-state and ownership is not changing, the effective date would be today's date. The registration fee is determined by the first owner's birthday and length of the boat.

Visit our website for boat title/registration feesNew window.

To determine the number of months required, start with the month the vehicle was purchased and count through to the owner's birth month.

Number of months 1-12 13-24 25-27
1' to 11'11" and motorized canoes $13.50 $27.00 35.25
12' to 15'11" $29.63 $59.26 83.63
16' to 25'11" $48.38 $96.76 139.88
26' to 39'11" $122.63 $245.26 362.63
40' to 64'11" $196.88 $393.76 585.38
65' to 109'11" $234.38 $468.76 697.88
110' to 200' $289.88 $579.76 864.38

Weight (In Pounds) 1-12 Months
Up to 500 $46.85
501 and Up $48.60 +1.00 per each 100 lbs

1. Vessel Registration Fee:  

2. Title Fee: (CHOOSE ONLY ONE)

Because you are applying for your title by mail, the "fast title" option is not available.
Vessel from another state $12.25
Brand new Vessel $8.25
Vessel Currently Titled in Florida $9.25
3. Late Fee:
If completed application is not received in our office within 30 days from purchase date
4. Sales Tax:
Not applicable if the boat has been owned for more than 6 months or if sales tax was already paid. For more information about sales taxNew window, please visit our website.

Purchase Price  
Less Sales Tax paid in another state (attach proof)  
5. Lien Fee:
If you have a lien on the boat $1.00
6. Vessel Trailer Fee: (if applicable)  


Did you include all required documents?

  • Your contact information on the front page of the Mail Packet
  • Proof of Manatee County Residency
  • Proof of Identification
  • Proof of business verification - if applicable
  • Application for Certificate of Title
  • Original Certificate of Origin OR Original Certificate of Title
  • Bill of Sale and/or copy of dealer invoice
  • Check or money order in US funds made payable to Ken Burton Jr., Tax Collector

The information contained in this packet is believed to be correct, but is not warranted and is subject to change.