Skip to main content


Welcome to our FAQ! To find answers to your questions, please use the search feature below or browse the Featured Questions and Top 20 FAQs. If a FAQ does not answer your question, you can email our office for assistance by clicking on a specific FAQ, then clicking "I need more information about this subject" at the bottom of the answer.

Top of page


To search within a category, select the category from the dropdown list and enter your question or search term in the keyword box. To view all questions in a category, select the category from the dropdown list and leave the keyword box empty.

Top of page

Question detail

Back to search results Back to search results
Mobile Home
What is an electronic title (or e-title)? Why should I store my title electronically?
This answer has been viewed 10692 times and was last updated on 01/18/2019.
Print this page Print this page

An electronic title (or e-title) is a certificate of title that is stored electronically and has not been printed to paper. It is maintained in an electronic status at no cost to you until you (the owner) or your lienholder requests that a paper title be printed.  You can request an e-title when transferring a title into your name or when adding a lien to an existing title in your name.

Storing your title electronically is a fraud deterrent.  You get immediate peace of mind in knowing that your title record is in a safe and secure (electronic) location.  This means that there is much less of a chance that someone could get their hands on your title and transfer ownership without your knowledge.

Save time looking for a lost or stolen certificate of title!  By storing your title electronically, you don’t have a chance to misplace or lose it.

You could also potentially save up to $85, which is the typical cost for a lost or stolen title!

Watch our Electronic Title video for additional information.

When do I need to convert my electronic title (e-title) to a paper title?

As long as you own your car, motorcycle, boat or mobile home, you do not need to convert your title to paper.  (Your proof of ownership is your vehicle registration.)

However, before you sell your vehicle to a private party (not a dealer), you will need to request that your e-title be converted to a paper title.  Once you have your paper title, you will complete the appropriate “Transfer of Title by Seller” section to transfer your interest to the buyer.

You can get more details and request a paper title from the DHSMV website.

-- Go online … it’s less expensive and more convenient!
-- The cost per title is only $2.50.
-- It is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
-- Your paper title will be mailed to you within 7-10 business days.

Your paper title can also be printed in person at any local Tax Collector’s Office.  (Note: Our office does not offer printed titles by mail.)  The cost is up to $10.00 per title.  If someone other than the registered owner is requesting a paper title, they must have a Fast Title Authorization Form signed by the owner and a copy of the owner’s ID.

Not a Manatee County resident?  Out-of-County residents needing to process title and/or registration transactions for vehicles, boats, and mobile homes can only be served at First Manatee South County Tag Agency, located at 5756 14th St W, Bradenton.

Users who viewed this answer also found the following helpful:
I have a heavy truck or I plan on buying a heavy truck; what are the requirements and fees?
I am active duty or retired military. Are there any special pricing, privileges or exemptions available for me when titling or registering a car, truck or motorcycle?
What kind of license plates do you offer?
What is required to title and register a motor scooter or to register a moped?
How do I replace/update my car, truck, motorcycle or trailer registration?

Top of page